Skip to main content

Bale seeks to seal Real resurgence on biggest stage

A year ago as Gareth Bale sneaked out the side exit to Real Madrid’s Santiago Bernabeu stadium he was engulfed by cat calls and insults by his own fans.

They were infuriated at his inability to take a slew of chances as Madrid bowed out of the Champions League semi-finals to Juventus.

Twelve months on, Bale is the man fit and in form as Real looked to seal their place in a 14th European Cup final on Wednesday when Manchester City visit the Bernabeu with their semi-final delicately poised a 0-0 after the first leg.

Bale has stood up to be counted in the absence of injured three-time World Player of the Year Cristiano Ronaldo in recent weeks to keep Madrid’s hopes of a La Liga and Champions League double alive.

For the first time in his three years in Madrid, the Welshman has stamped his authority on the side to demonstrate he could prove to be Ronaldo’s successor as top dog at the Bernabeu as president Florentino Perez hoped when shelling out over 100 million euros ($114 million) to secure his services from Tottenham Hotspur.

By Bale’s own admission, his second season in the Spanish capital was one to forget as Madrid ended the campaign without a major trophy having promised so much during a 22-game winning run from September to January.

“Maybe last season I didn’t play to anywhere near to my potential,” he said recently.

“It’s good to have a bad season, you really do learn a lot about yourself and I feel this season I took last season on board.

“I understand the game a lot more over here and hopefully there is a lot still more to come in the future.”

Bale has already experienced Champions League glory, scoring in the final against local rivals Atletico Madrid to deliver Real’s treasured “La Decima” – a 10th European Cup.

Yet, even that didn’t shield the 26-year-old from the criticism that followed last season.

Bale has often struggled to adapt to his surroundings in the Spanish capital and the pressure that comes with being the world’s most expensive player.

He has yet to speak to the media in Spanish, although he claims to be able to make himself understood in the dressing room.

Yet, his image as an over-priced and injury-prone luxury has been transformed in recent weeks as he led a fightback from 2-0 down to win 3-2 at Rayo Vallecano with a double last weekend and followed that up with the winner as an under-strength Real won a 10th consecutive La Liga game 1-0 at Real Sociedad on Saturday.

Madrid sports daily AS’s front page on Saturday morning declared: “The league goes through Bale.”

Whilst his talent was doubted by few, the character, personality and leadership shown by Bale in Ronaldo’s absence has surprised many in Madrid.

Yet, his resurgence still lacks the kudos of a famous Champions League night at the Bernabeu.

Bale has yet to register a goal in this season’s competition, whilst Ronaldo has 16 in 10 games — including a stunning hat-trick that turned around a 2-0 first leg deficit to Wolfsburg in the quarter-finals.

“I thought as soon as La Decima was done, they’d be happy,” Bale told The Times last week.

“But no, It’s just in the club’s nature, they want to win the European Cup every year. It’s instilled in you and you go for it every year.”

Ronaldo is expected to return from a thigh strain on Wednesday, but City’s visit offers Bale the chance to step out of his shadow and make his mark when it really matters at Madrid.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teen Victim Bites Off Rapist’s Manhood During Forced Sexual Act

A 17-year-old girl has inflicted serious damage on her victim’s penis, ensuring that he will never assault another girl in the same manner. According to reports, the victim fought her attacker as she forced him to perform oral sex on his erect manhood. In the process of defending herself, she sunk her teeth into his manhood, leaving him with serious injuries. The unidentified man reportedly took himself to the hospital for medial care, an act that got the doctoprs suspicious about how he got the injury. They immediately alerted the police about their suspicions, as they tried to provide remedy of what could be salvaged of his damaged manhood Police promptly visited the hospital where the attacker was arrested. He has since been charged with rape.

Real Madrid, Croatia Star Luka Modric Wins 2018 Ballon d'Or

Real Madrid midfielder Luka Modric was awarded the 2018 Ballon d'Or on Monday, becoming the first player not named Lionel Messi or Cristiano Ronaldo to earn the honor since 2007.  Modric, 33, beat out Ronaldo and Antoine Griezmann, respectively, for the illustrious prize. Both Ronaldo and Messi had won it five times apiece over a 10-year run, and all three men were named to France Football's 30-player shortlist in October. Messi's fifth-place finish is his worst since 2006 and it comes despite leading Barcelona to La Liga and Copa del Rey titles. The midfielder adds the award to his list of others accolades received this year, including UEFA Best Player, FIFA Best Men's Player and the Golden Ball at the World Cup. Modric helped Real Madrid win its third straight Champions League title earlier this year before taking Croatia to its first World Cup appearance. Croatia's captain scored two goals, had one assist and led the tournament in minutes played...

Nigerian Army Intercepts 37 Wives And Children Of Boko Haram Terrorists

The Nigerian army said on Wednesday, that it had intercepted 37 people 37 people , who were suspected to be wives and children of the boko haram terrorists. The army spokesman, Brig.-Gen. Sani Usman, said in a statement that 30 of the escapees, which comprises of eight women and 22 children, were intercepted  on Tuesday at Gujba Local Government Area of Yobe. He said; “On preliminary interrogation, the suspects claimed to have escaped from Boko Haram terrorists’ custody at Kafa and Abagajiri villages in Damboa Local Government Area of Borno,’’ The army spokesman added that seven other people were intercepted on Tuesday, at Kamunya, Yobe state. “They claimed that they escaped from Boko Haram terrorists’ hideout at Goropcha village, Damboa Local Government Area of Borno. “Both sets of escapees are currently being screened and profiled,’’ he said.